Tips for Troubleshooting Measurement Accuracy Issues
Tips for Troubleshooting Accuracy With Your SpikeThe accuracy of your measurements should be +/- 1% if you meet the following critical conditions:
- You are at a distance between 6-324ft (2-100m) from your target
- You are straight on (perpendicular) to your object, or at an angle that is no greater than 60% off perpendicular
- You have aligned the Spike laser with the camera of your smartphone or tablet
- You are measuring on the same plane as the target (where the Spike laser hit the surface), and your alignment rectangle is on that same plane
If you are not getting +/-1% accuracy, follow the tips below to help identify why you are not achieving this accuracy:
- What is the model number of the smartphone or tablet being used?
- Locate the model of your smartphone or tablet. This can be found in the “Settings” under “About Phone”.
- Now confirm that your model is one of the supported devices for Spike
- Verify that your target, alignment rectangle and measurements are on the same flat surface or plane. Locate the red dot on your photo to determine this, as the red dot represents where the Spike laser hit the surface.
- Do not skip the alignment rectangle step. Before taking measurements, you must create an alignment rectangle.
- Your target should be a rectangle or have a physical rectangle on the same surface (to align the object).
- Where possible make the alignment rectangle the same size or larger than the measurements you need.
- Your laser (cross-hair on the screen) is pointed at your target (what you want to measure). The cross-hair should be on a solid surface and not a window.
- When possible, the laser measurement (red dot) is as close as possible to the center of the alignment rectangle and measurement.
- Do not use an alignment rectangle on a different part of the surface than where you are measuring. If you need to measure on a difference plane or surface, take two images for higher accuracy.
- You are standing greater than 6ft (2m) away for what you are measuring.
- You are as close to perpendicular to the target as possible, and no greater than 60 degrees off perpendicular.
- If you are measuring a window, use a piece of paper on the window or shoot the frame. This prevents the laser from going through the window.
- When taking the photo try to make sure either the corners, or a significant portion of the sides, have enough contrast, so that you can easily identify the edges of what you are measuring.
- Properly mounting the Spike device to a case.
- The Spike device should be mounted to a separate smartphone or tablet case, and not directly onto your device.
- The Spike should be mounted on a case with a hard surface.
- It should be mounted as close to the smartphone or tablet camera without obscuring the camera.
- Review the instructions for attaching Spike in this article
- Proper laser alignment is required for accurate reading for the Spike device. Be sure to calibrate the laser both vertically and horizontally. Watch this video for a step-by-step guide for aligning the Spike laser
If you are still having accuracy issues after following the tips above, share your images with the ikeGPS support team. There are two ways to do this.
- Share the image URL from your cloud account.
- Log into the cloud https://app.ikegps.com
- Select an image
- Navigate to the Report Tab and select Share URL
- Copy the URL address and email it to email@example.com
- Share an image from the Spike app by emailing the Spike file.
- Send your image to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any further questions feel free to contact us at email@example.com:
8:00 am to 5:00 pm (UTC -07:00)
Monday – Friday (Closed on major US holidays)